Transfer Credit Evaluation

New Students

The University offers new students two ways to receive transfer credits towards the John Carroll degree. Prior to matriculation students may earn college credits through 1) exams administered by major testing programs, or 2) coursework taken at regionally accredited or CHEA recognized institutions of higher education or their foreign equivalents (see "General Transfer Credit Requirements" below). Initial determination of credit transferability occurs at the time of evaluation for admission. All requests for transfer of credits earned prior to matriculation must be submitted by the end of the second semester after matriculation.

Current Students

Currently enrolled students may also receive transfer credit for course work taken at another regionally accredited or CHEA recognized academic institution or a foreign equivalent. To ensure transferability of credits after matriculation, students must have an approved petition in advance of taking courses through University-approved study abroad programs or at other regionally accredited institutions. Students are responsible for having their transcripts sent directly to the University Registrar by the last Friday of the semester immediately following the term in which the transfer coursework was taken.

Students who want to transfer a course approved as equivalent to a pair of JCU's laboratory and lecture courses but already have JCU credits for one component of the pair will receive credits only for the missing component of the pair of courses. That is, students who want to transfer a 4-credit course that is equivalent to a pair composed of a 3-credit lecture course and a 1-credit laboratory, but already have earned credits for the 3-credit lecture, will receive just one credit for the laboratory course.

General Transfer Credit Requirements

Courses proposed for transfer credit must be completed with a C or higher (not Pass/Fail, unless it can be determined that the passing mark is equivalent to a C or higher). Courses completed at non-regionally accredited institutions or programs (e.g., the Washington Center, Disney Executive program) will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. All courses are reviewed by department chairs, program directors, and academic deans using the following criteria:

  • Acceptability: course work acknowledged by the University as having met standards for evaluation and award of undergraduate transfer credit, independent of delivery method.

  • Comparability: the course work is comparable in content, expectations, and credit hours to courses offered at John Carroll.

  • Applicability: the course work is deemed appropriate for use within a degree program to fulfill specific requirements.

Some restrictions apply. John Carroll does not accept remedial courses, English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, or courses taken as part of Technical Preparation programs. Credit must be reflected on an official transcript from the institution from which coursework was taken and must be sent directly from that organization to John Carroll University. John Carroll does not award credit for prior learning experiences that are not included on an official transcript from a regionally-accredited institution, or a foreign equivalent (see below for exceptions for military training). Qualitatively, credits from other schools must be within one credit hour of comparable work at John Carroll. Quality points and grades are not transferred, only credits. A minimum of 30 credit hours must be completed in residence at John Carroll. At least 50% of the credits for the major must be earned at John Carroll or through an approved dual-degree or study-abroad program. The limit of transfer credit from a two-year institution is 60 semester hours.

Credit will be given for courses completed under the auspices of the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), providing they are equivalent to those offered by John Carroll University. Credit may also be given for military training as indicated by the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations for training courses. Students with military training must submit an official JST transcript for evaluation.