International Students

Applicants from abroad should submit their credentials at least 90 days in advance of matriculation. The applicant must also submit a Financial Guarantee Statement and a bank statement, no more than 60 days old, indicating financial resources available for meeting the financial obligations incurred while attending the University (i.e., evidence of funding source to fully finance the cost of education, housing and living expenses). Students who require an F-1 visa must be enrolled full-time (6 credits per semester) while studying at John Carroll University. Students in post-baccalaureate non-degree/certificate programs are eligible for F-1 status. International students requiring an F-1 student visa must submit a scanned copy of their current passport’s photo page and, if in the United States already, a copy of their current visa sticker.

Official, original language transcripts must be accompanied by a certified English translation that evaluates the degree for equivalency to degrees awarded in the United States, and provides information to enable the interpretation of grades. The University recommends the use of World Education Services (WES) or Education Credential Evaluators (ECE).

In addition to the normal admission requirements, all international applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate the necessary level of proficiency in the English language by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A student from abroad whose native language is English, who has completed his or her work in a foreign university where English is the language of instruction, or who has studied at or graduated from an American institution, is exempt from this testing requirement. Information on how to register to take the TOEFL can be found at Information on the IELTS exam can be found at

International applicants must also indicate their permanent mailing address. This may not be a P.O. Box. Additionally, applicants must submit a photocopy of the title page of their passport (with photo). If the student is already in the United States with an F-1 visa for another academic program, or is in some other legal status (Permanent Resident or Non-Immigrant), a copy of the student’s current Green Card or visa sticker must be included with the application.

No notification of admission will be sent to an applicant, nor will an I-20 form be issued, until all these requirements have been met.

Upon acceptance to the University, the international student should contact the Center for Global Education at John Carroll University at 216-397-4320, or, or The Center for Global Education will issue the I-20 and act as a general resource for international students.

International students who apply for appointments as graduate assistants must have lecturing competence in English. Such appointments may require students to have successfully completed at least two semesters of study in the United States.