Graduate Classification of Students

Students who register with the expressed intention of following a program leading to a graduate degree, a certificate, or licensure are classified as matriculated. Students who desire to enroll in a graduate course or courses without regard to degree, certificate, or licensure requirements are classified as non-matriculated. Post-baccalaureate students are those who have completed a baccalaureate degree and who are taking courses to be accepted into a degree- or certificate- seeking program.

Matriculating students in non-degree programs (i.e., certification or licensure) usually are subject to the same procedures required of degree-seeking students. Not all courses are open to them. Students should contact the department in which they plan to take courses and, in the case of new or readmitted students, obtain permission from the appropriate dean as well. Students may retain this classification so long as their work meets the required academic standards, but a subsequent transfer of credit to a degree program is limited to that earned in two courses.

Non-matriculated students are permitted to take up to six graduate course credits with the approval of the department chairperson. Approval for non-matriculated status for more than six credit hours is not normally given. If a non-matriculated student wishes to take more than six credit hours, the student must obtain the explicit written recommendation of the department chairperson and the written approval of the appropriate dean. Non-matriculated students must get the approval of their department chairperson or graduate director and the appropriate dean before registering for any courses. Non-matriculated students must pay all tuition and applicable fees.

Students who have been denied admission to a graduate program may not enroll for courses on a non-matriculated basis without the applicant seeking and receiving written approval of the department chairperson and the appropriate dean. The University has no responsibility to accept a non-matriculated student as a degree-seeking (matriculated) student, regardless of how many credits the student has completed. Ordinarily, non-matriculated students accepted as degree-seeking students may petition to transfer up to six credits from courses taken as a non-matriculated student. If a student wishes to apply more than six credits toward the degree program, he/she must make a formal written request to the department chairperson and receive written approval from the department chairperson and the appropriate dean.

Post-baccalaureate students must obtain the permission of the appropriate dean prior to registering for courses. Post-baccalaureate students must pay all tuition and applicable fees.

Transient students may be admitted under the same restrictions as non-degree-seeking students upon submission of satisfactory evidence of good standing in an accredited graduate school. Transient students are required to submit an in-progress transcript before registering for a class. Transient students are not eligible for financial aid at John Carroll University but may be eligible through their home institution with a valid consortium agreement. Students should confirm with their home institution.