Academic Forgiveness

Graduate students may petition for Academic Forgiveness for prior graduate coursework taken at John Carroll only if they are seeking to change graduate programs. If granted, all previous courses taken and grades received at John Carroll as a graduate student (including all transfer credit granted while a graduate student) will neither be counted toward 1) the number of credit hours taken and earned nor 2) the cumulative grade-point average.

All previous academic work will remain on the student’s graduate transcript with the notation “EX” (Excluded). To apply for academic forgiveness, students must submit an academic petition to be reviewed by the Graduate Program Director of the intended new program and the Dean of the Graduate School. An academic forgiveness petition will only be granted once during a student’s graduate career at John Carroll. These changes do not affect a student’s financial standing.