Financial Aid


The primary mission of the Financial Aid Program is to assist, with some form of aid, as many as possible of the applicants accepted for admission who demonstrate financial need and/or appropriate academic achievement. Financial aid awards are tailored to meet the particular needs of the recipient within the limitations of the funds available. Financial aid is awarded with the expectation that it will be renewed each year on the basis of (1) continued financial need, (2) funds available, (3) satisfactory academic progress, and (4) timely application results.


To be considered for any form of aid, applicants must first be accepted for admission. Eligibility for academic merit scholarship awards is based on evaluation of the total record of achievement and promise. Eligibility for need-based aid is determined by a student’s demonstrated financial need as derived from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA and the application for admission with its supporting credentials are the only forms required from entering first-year applicants seeking need-based financial aid. Scholarships and grants are available to full-time students enrolled in any undergraduate division of the University. Some merit-based or donor scholarships may require separate application procedures.

To Apply

The application form for federally funded, state-funded, and institutional need-based aid is the FAFSA; it is on the web at To complete the FAFSA online, a Federal Student Aid ID (FSAID) must be used. The FSAID application may be found at Any inquiries concerning financial aid and application procedures should be addressed to the Office of Student Enrollment and Financial Services.


All financial assistance is awarded for one academic year only. The award will remain approximately the same for four years unless financial circumstances are brought to the attention of the Office of Student Enrollment and Financial Services and/or appropriate academic/need requirements are not met. Each year students must submit the FAFSA to renew their need-based financial aid.

The Office of Student Enrollment and Financial Services will remind students of the appropriate time to reapply for aid through the FAFSA at their home address or through their e-mail account.

Scholarships and grants given for specified periods may not be applied toward attendance during the summer sessions, are not redeemable in cash, and are not transferable in any way (summer aid applications will be available before the end of each spring semester). All awards are subject to renewal qualifications as set forth by the Committee on Admission and Financial Aid and may be rescinded at the discretion of the committee.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The federal Higher Education Amendments require the University to define and enforce standards of academic progress for students receiving federal or state aid. These standards of academic progress can be found at

Scholarships and Grants

John Carroll merit scholarship programs are highly competitive and honor students whose contributions and success are measured inside the classroom and beyond. Some unique programs go beyond academic scholarships and reward commitment to leadership and service as well. A complete listing of merit scholarship opportunities offered by the institution can be found at

ROTC Scholarships

The U.S. Department of the Army annually awards ROTC full-tuition scholarships on a competitive basis nationally. Four-year and three-year advance-designee scholarship winners are selected from high school students who apply from mid-June to December of their senior year. Applications are available only for submission at Current college students may also compete for a variety of campus-based scholarships, when available, ranging from two to four years, by contacting the Recruiting Office, Department of Military Science, at 216-397-4286 or 4421.

The scholarship provides full tuition and required fees, a yearly book allowance, plus a monthly stipend during the normal school year. Scholarship winners who reside in JCU campus housing receive free standard room and board each academic year. All cadets completing the program commission as a Second Lieutenant into the Regular Army, Army Reserves, or Army National Guard. Competitive opportunities also exist for advanced follow-on education, including medical school and law school. Please consult the Military Science/ROTC website at for full details about these opportunities.

Federal and State Government Grants

John Carroll administers federal and state funding programs. In order to qualify for any of these programs, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid and meet the qualifications as outlined by each program. Details of the types of grant and their eligibility criteria can be found at

Loan Programs

John Carroll participates in the Federal Direct Loan program. Information concerning the terms and application process for these programs can be found at Private loan funding opportunities are detailed there as well.

Tuition Remission

John Carroll participates in various tuition remission and tuition exchange programs for families that work in higher education across the country. All of our programs are limited to dependent children of eligible employees if the students meet admission standards and are accepted for admission. John Carroll also participates in three programs that offer full or partial tuition remission for selected, accepted incoming first-year students. Each year the University receives more interest from students to participate in these programs than spaces available. For that reason all students are encouraged to apply for admission in a timely way. John Carroll also maintains a wait list for students admitted to the University but not originally awarded a position in one of these programs. More details are available at

Veterans Educational Benefits

Veterans Educational Benefits are available to eligible, degree-seeking veterans. Information about the program, including eligibility requirements and benefits, can be found at

John Carroll will allow an individual to attend or participate in a program of education if the Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 Beneficiary provides the school with a “Certificate of Eligibility (COE)”. 

John Carroll University ensures that we will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual's inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This addendum will serve as temporary recognition that John Carroll University will add this policy to our catalog and abide by Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides an opportunity for on-campus employment to students who have financial need. The jobs offer the student an opportunity to work in one of the academic or administrative departments on campus. Also, a number of community service jobs are available off-campus. A FAFSA is required to establish need for either type of employment. Additional information on available opportunities and the process can be found at

Withdrawal and Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Any student who completely withdraws from the University and is a recipient of federal Title IV financial aid is subject to the policy regarding refund and repayment of those funds. The details of this policy can be found at

PLEASE NOTE:  This policy is independent of the percentage of tuition charged through John Carroll’s refund policy.

Contact Information

The Office of Student Enrollment and Financial Services and the Admission Office are part of the John Carroll Enrollment Division, located on the second floor of Rodman Hall. Staff from either office can be reached at 216-397-4294 or