Application Procedures

The easiest way to apply to John Carroll University is through the Common Application. Students may apply to the University online at There is no fee to apply to John Carroll.

1. Submit a Common Application to the Office of Admission. Candidates for the first-year class may apply for admission at any time during their senior year of high school, but not more than 12 months prior to entrance.

Note: Students planning on majors in business will apply for admission directly to the Boler College of Business.

2. Arrange with the high school(s) attended to send complete transcripts to the Office of Admission. Students who are home-schooled should have any and all supporting documentation and transcripts submitted, such as the grading scale or methods of evaluation used, course descriptions, and any information about a distance-learning program or homeschooler’s association.

3. Ask a guidance counselor and/or teacher at the high school last attended to complete the School Report and/or the Teacher Evaluation through the Common Application and send it with the transcript to the Office of Admission.

4. Submit the results of testing by either the College Board (SAT) or the American College Testing (ACT) Program. See the “Testing” section below.

5. Applicants wishing to apply for need-based financial aid should complete and submit online the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form found at This form is used to award institutional as well as federal and state assistance. All applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a FAFSA, regardless of family income. The form should be submitted for processing any time after October 1 of the senior year.

Application Deadlines

The Office of Admission has specific admission application and notification dates for first-year applicants. Please refer to the admission website for the most current information as dates may change from year to year. Typically, our deadlines are as follows:

  • December 1: Early Action I (non-restrictive) and Priority Scholarship Consideration; decisions released by the third week of December

  • December 2–February 1: Rolling admission; decisions released every 7–10 days from mid-January through mid-March

  • After February 1: Rolling admission on a space-available basis

To be fully considered for all of our merit scholarship programs, students should apply for first-year admission by the priority scholarship deadline of December 1.

Enrollment Confirmation

Admitted students reserve their place in the first-year class by submitting an Enrollment Reservation Form and a $300 enrollment deposit. This deposit is refundable until May 1 by written request and non-refundable after May 1 for applicants who fail to register or who withdraw after registration.

Beginning with students entering Fall 2022, first-year applicants who are not commuting are required to live in University housing for their first three years. Applicants must indicate on their Enrollment Reservation Form whether or not they intend to live on campus. Commuting is defined as living exclusively in the permanent and primary residence of a parent or legal guardian. The home of the parent or guardian must be within 35 miles of the John Carroll University campus. Once a student establishes his/her status as a resident, he/she must seek approval for a change of status to commuter. Formal requests can be made through the Office of Residence Life through the Request for Release process.

There is no deadline for enrollment deposits; however, May 1 is the last date which will guarantee an accepted applicant a place in the first-year class and/or a place in the residence halls. Any requests received after that date will be accepted on a space-available basis at the discretion of the Office of Admission and, in the case of residence hall status, the Office of Residence Life.


Degree-seeking first-year applicants for Fall 2023 may submit the results of testing by either the College Board (SAT) or the American College Testing (ACT) Program. Due to the disruption of testing from COVID-19, John Carroll has made submission of test scores for admission optional. For more information, please see our Test-Optional FAQ page.

SAT: Applicants taking the SAT should present the results from examinations taken in either their junior or senior year of secondary school. To have scores sent directly to the University, please use John Carroll’s SAT code, which is 1342.

Students may obtain registration forms and general information from their secondary school guidance office or the College Board website

Regarding the College Board’s optional Score Choice feature, John Carroll University considers an applicant’s highest section scores across all SAT test dates that are submitted. Applicants should feel free to send any additional scores that they want to make available to John Carroll.

ACT: Students planning to complete the battery of tests administered through the American College Testing Program may obtain information and registration forms from their secondary school guidance office or the ACT website To have scores sent directly to the University, use John Carroll’s ACT code, which is 3282. John Carroll University does not require the additional Writing Test offered by ACT.

Please Note: Students whose first language is a language other than English and/or who attended a secondary school where instruction was in a language other than English must submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam in lieu of SAT or ACT scores.

Title IX

As required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, as well as the affiliated federal regulations in 34 CFR Part 106, John Carroll University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any educational program or activity. This extends to the University's admission decisions for any educational program or activity. The University's full policy is available for review on the Title IX webpage.

Questions regarding the University's compliance with Title IX should be referred to:

Title IX Coordinator

John Carroll University

Administration Building, Room 127

1 John Carroll Blvd.

University Heights, OH 44118

(216) 397-1559 |

Additional questions and concerns regarding the University's compliance with Title IX also may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights by contacting:

Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

Lyndon Baines Johnson (LBJ)

Department of Education Building

400 Maryland Ave, SW

Washington, DC 20202

1-800-421-3481 |