Concurrent Enrollment and Transfer of Credit

On occasion it may be desirable or even become necessary for students to enroll as transient students at another institution. The following are situations for which assistant deans will generally approve concurrent registration and transfer of credit:

1. Cross-registration

Full-time students, enrolled in at least 12 credit hours and have a 2.0 or better grade point average, may register for one course per semester at any of the participating colleges and universities in the Cleveland area. This is an enrichment program, and courses eligible for cross-registration are those normally not available at the home institution. Certain restrictions apply. The Cross-Registration form and guidelines are posted on the Office of the Registrar’s CrossRegistration webpage.

2. Study Abroad

Students in good academic, financial, and disciplinary standing at the University are encouraged to study abroad as part of their regular academic program. Students in any major can be accommodated on study-abroad programs. They may participate in semester-long, year-long, summer, or short-term, faculty-led (spring break, beginning or end of a semester) programs. Interested students should consult with the Center for Global Education regarding complete eligibility requirements and guidelines.

Students work with their academic advisors to select course work abroad that meets requirements for their major(s), minor, and Core Curriculum. Students must submit academic petitions online to gain approval for course work taken abroad, which is approved by the chair of the relevant department. Students must secure approval for all course work before they begin their study abroad program. For programs that have been approved by the academic vice president, all courses taken abroad are converted to a letter grade by the Office of the Registrar, and are calculated in the student’s grade point average (GPA). For programs from non-affiliated institutions, only the course credits will transfer; GPA will not be affected. Students must earn a grade of C or better for a course to transfer, and courses may not be taken on a Pass/Fail basis.

John Carroll University currently has study-abroad and exchange agreements with universities in many different countries. John Carroll also operates JCU in Rome, its own faculty-led semester-long program. For a complete, current list of programs, consult the Center for Global Education’s website at Students are able to apply their financial aid packages for most John Carroll programs but should check with the Office of Financial Aid as part of the application process. Students may participate in programs that are not affiliated directly with John Carroll University through third-party providers or by directly enrolling at the foreign institution, but they must still submit a complete application through the Center for Global Education, be approved by the Center for Global Education, and follow the same procedures to ensure their course work will transfer to John Carroll. Students wishing to study abroad during their final year should consult with the Center for Global Education and their academic advisor to ensure timely degree completion. Students in the International Business with Language and Culture program in the Boler College of Business are required to study abroad for a minimum of six weeks in a non-English-speaking country and to carry out an international internship.

3. Washington Internships

John Carroll University participates in two semesterlong internship programs in Washington, D.C., with 1) the Washington Center and 2) the Washington Semester at American University. Twelve to sixteen credit hours may be completed and transferred to John Carroll. Interested students should contact the Center for Global Education.

4. Courses at other accredited institutions

Continuing John Carroll students who wish to take courses at another institution will ordinarily first consult with their advisors. Students should also check the Transfer Course Equivalency Table on the Registrar's website to determine how the course they wish to take will transfer back to John Carroll. If the course is not in the table, or students would like the course to transfer differently than currently approved, then they must submit an online academic petition for approval before enrolling. Course descriptions must be provided. Syllabi may be required. The permission, if given, will specify the terms under which credit will be transferred. The student must request that a transcript be sent to the Registrar at John Carroll (hand-delivered copies are not accepted). The transcript must be received by the Registrar’s Office at John Carroll by the last Friday of the semester after completion of a transfer course (e.g., if a summer course, the last Friday of the fall semester. If a fall course, the last Friday of the following spring semester.).

Timely receipt of transcripts helps to avoid the duplication or loss of transfer credit, and eliminates potential registration issues if a student is transferring in a prerequisite course. Students should request their transcripts be sent at least one month in advance of the deadline to ensure transcripts are received prior to the deadline. Credit will not be awarded from transcripts received after the deadline has passed. A grade of C or better is required for transfer of credit. In such cases, only the credits are transferred; the grades received do not affect the student’s quality-point average at John Carroll.